USA - IAAF RDC San Juan/USATF Women’s Conference
Report: IAAF RDC San Juan/USATF Women’s Conference
Miami, Florida, May 9-10, 2014
The IAAF RDC San Juan in collaboration with USATF hosted the annual Women’s Conference in Miami, Florida from May 9-10, 2014.
In attendance were thirty eight (38) participants representing 22 MF’s namely: AIA, ANT, ARU, BAH, BAR, BER, IVB, CAN, CRC, CUB, DMA, ESA, GRN,GUA, JAM, NCA, PUR, SKN, VIN, TTO, TKS and USA. Also present were representatives from APA, NACAC and the RDC San Juan along with two guests MF’s – SUR and MTQ.
The objective of this Women’s Conference was to advance the NACAC Area Women’s Strategic Plan aimed at enhancing the participation of women in the sport of track and field athletics in the region and ultimately the world. This was developed at the last conference in Hamilton, Bermuda.
Four commissions were formed last year namely:
- Code of Conduct – Chairperson – Terry Crawford (USA)
- Education and Certification – Chairperson – Evelyn Lopez (APA)
- Advanced Gender Equity and Sponsorships – Chairperson – Stephanie Hightower (USA)
- Network Communications and Circulation of Reports – Chairperson – Dorett J. Levy (RDC San Juan)
Each chair made reports on their commissions. New participants were invited to join the commission of their choice.
Specially invited guests comprising Olympians and other notable “heavy weights” from USATF were in attendance for the “Open Forum” which was moderated by Jill Geer, member of the IAAF Women’s Commission.
The curtain came down on the 2014 edition of the IAAF RDC San Juan Women’s Activity with a dinner hosted by USATF. Jackie Joyner-Kersee – three time Olympic Gold medallist was the guest speaker.
Special thanks to USATF for doing a fantastic job as co-host, especially to Renee Washington with whom the RDC representative Dorett J. Levy collaborated directly during the planning of this activity. Renee and her team were instrumental in helping to finalize the Agenda and effectively managed local logistics of the conference.
The consensus was that this Women’s Conference was a success. The women were again charged with the responsibilities to go back to their respective countries to establish or activate National Women’s Committees. The challenge is for them to make a difference where the involvement of women in athletics is concerned and to send reports highlighting the work of women in their NF to the IAAF RDC San Juan to be posted on the website.
- Wilma Proctor AIA Chief Coach
- Lorna D. Rogers AIA President
- Judy King-Blackman ANT Treasurer
- Evelyn Claudio Lopez APA General Secretary/Chair of NACAC Area Women’s Committee
- Evelyn B. Farrell ARU President
- Sharon Gardiner BAH Asst. Treasurer
- Mabeline Miller BAH Asst. Secretary
- Philippa Arnett-Willie BAH Treasurer
- Pauline Davis - Thompson BAH IAAF Council Member
- Catherine Jordan BAR President
- Esther Maynard BAR Member IAAF Technical Committee
- Mia Black BER Executive Member
- Delva Thomas IVB Secretary
- Carla Nicholls CAN Leader of Women in Coaching
- Geen Clarke CRC Vice President
- Maria Caridad Colon CUB Chairperson Women’s Committee
- Fenella Wenham DMA Vice President
- Gloria Elizabeth Ramos ESA General Secretary
- Claudia Francis GRN Treasurer
- Adriana Alejandra Rivas Veliz GUA Executive Member
- Vilma Charlton JAM 4th Vice President
- Jacqueline (Nikki) Miller JAM Admin. Officer HPTC - Kingston
- Susan Garcia MTQ Executive Member
- Xiomara Larios Toruna NCA President
- Teresa Galarza Melendez PUR Assistant Team Manager
- Dorett J. Levy RDC SJ Administrative Secretary
- Grace Maritza Dias SKN Women’s Representative
- Jacintha Ballantyne VIN Treasurer
- Letitia Vriesde SUR President
- Lucretia Warner-Burns TTO Executive Member
- Edith Skippings TKS President
- Terry Crawford USA Director of Coaching
- Stephanie Hightower USA President
- Talia Mark USA Associate Director Elite Athlete Relations
- Sandy Snow USA Director – International Teams
- Aretha Thurmond USA Associate Director of International Teams
- Anne Phillips Timmons USA IAAF Women’s Committee
- Renee Washington USA Chief Operating Officer
|< Prev||Next >|